Monday, June 2, 2014

Texas Tornados (almost)

Mi Familia,

What a week. Really long..and short. I should probably just stop trying to fill you in on how time feels. It doesn't ever make any sense.

It rained quite a bit this week! On Tuesday there were tornado warnings. For a little while we were knocking a little neighborhood and it seriously looked like a tornado was forming right above us (I'm slightly exaggerating, Mom, don't worry.) and there was lightning striking within a couple miles all around us with super loud thunder. It was crazy! I was really hoping to see a tornado, but I was disappointed. 

We've been talking to EVERYONE and we're finding people, but they generally aren't sticking around long. That's ok, though. We're looking for those who will receive us, and we'll find them. We did find a really sweet, sincere couple this past week, though. He read 9 chapters of the Book of Mormon in 2 days! And they've been looking for a church! Perfect. It's hard here though, because, since it's so spread out, you can't visit people as often as you can in other areas. So we're hoping to see them again soon and keep teaching them! 

Mari bore her testimony in church yesterday! It was such a sweet, sincere testimony and that soul-filling joy that I've been so spoiled with these past 16 months hit me again. I was grinning from ear to ear. It reminded me of a quotation from Heber J. Grant:

"I believe there is nothing in all the world that can compare with the joy that a man feels when he realizes that he has been the instrument in the hands of the living God of reaching some honest heart, inspiring in it a love of God and the desire to serve Him."

Truth.

I've been surprised to see that, the further I get into my mission, the more I've knocked and contacted. It's not that I've stopped doing those other more effective things, it's just that we've learned how to teach shorter, more powerful lessons and to fill in the time talking to anyone and everyone. I don't make excuses and I actually want to talk to everyone. That's not to say that there aren't times (daily) that I just really don't feel like talking to another stranger on the street, but I've become a missionary who talks to everyone, and for more than just because I know I should. Which is really cool because I specifically prayed and fasted for that a month or two ago. God really does hear you and He will change you into the person you desire to be. It starts with a lot of "fake it til you make it," but He'll always make sure you make it. Honestly, I'm still not there. There's a lot I still want to add and become before my mission ends. And I'm sure I won't feel completely "fulfilled" when I go home. But that's ok, because I won't be! There will still be so much to do and learn. 

Life's good. I'm tired, I'm uncomfortable, and I'm happy.

Love you all! Have a good week!

Hermana Lund

No comments:

Post a Comment