Thursday, March 14, 2013

Camille's Last Week in the MTC

The picture I've been waiting for -Camille and Scott together in the MTC (with their companions)

 Missionary work is hard! -Camille and her companion after a particularly hard lesson 

 The four sisters from Camille's district -all headed for San Antonio next Wednesday


 Sisters from Camille's zone enjoying a beautiful spring day at the temple -with every other missionary in the the MTC, apparently.

Camille's district -Elder Dance must be missing, or maybe they're having a dance with the elders. ?


Some of Camille's letter this week:

Mi Familia,

Hola! Que Pasa? Estan disfutado la primavera? Todos los misioneros aqui son muy felizes debido al sol esta semana. I leave on Wednesday! Our flight leaves at 9:56 a.m. and I'll arrive at 1:40 p.m., although I think that's Texas time. And I get to call you in the airport! 

Also, my mission president emailed us and told us that we are allowed to email friends in the mission field. So all of you who promised to write to me don't have any excuses now! 

Thank you, everyone, for you letters! They seriously mean so much to us missionaries. Matt, you are the most faithful writer a missionary could ask for. I love all your letters. I'm going to write you a letter after I finish this email. :)

This week has been really good, (as usual). I have learned so much (as usual). I have become acutely aware of my complete inability to do anything. It's great. Especially this week, I have been praying my soul out for the gift of discernment. I'll walk out of lessons and realize that all I was really focusing on was my Spanish and receiving the Spirit for myself. And I'll completely overlook the investigator. We had a lesson this week where our teacher/investigator actually stopped the lesson to show us a huge opportunity we had missed. I hadn't even noticed it. Anyway, since then--especially since I'm leaving in less than a week it's about to start affecting real lives--I've been focusing on, working for, and praying for this gift. And I've seen a big difference. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I've learned that I can't do anything by myself, but it's been beautiful to discover that I can do anything with God. I feel humble in the most confident of ways.

A couple of days ago Hna Christensen and I listened to a fireside given by David A. Bednar online in Spanish for our language study. I was amazed at how much I could understand! Before I came here when I heard Spanish on TV or when people spoke Spanish around me I couldn't understand anything. Anything. And I know that the translator was talking really clearly, and I know he wasn't talking as fast or as casually as people do in real life, and I know that there was a lot of stuff that I missed, but I understood what he was talking about! I could even understand what he was saying well enough to go about an inch beneath the surface to think about his message. It was the most exciting day I've had here. I've said it a million times before, but it really is a miracle. At the same time though, when we talk to native speakers in TRC (every week we teach volunteers who just be themselves) I have a really hard time understanding them. But I know that I'll be able to get it, and that's comforting.




No comments:

Post a Comment