Monday, May 6, 2013

Feliz como un Dumbriz!


Mi Familia!

Hermana King and I are doing well! We're really nervous and really excited. We're coming to realize how little we know about missionary work. But we've been completely fine so far. Hermana King's Spanish is really good and mine is getting a lot better. I can almost always understand as long as I focus. 

Both of us are super passionate and just ready to get stuff done. It's really exciting!! We have so many ideas and we're just going with them. We're working hard to use our time effectively and plan well. And we just straight up work hard. We're exhausted every day. It feels good. I love, love, love having Hermana King as my companion. I don't think we'd naturally be friends at home, but we are already so close just because we're so passionate about this work. I seriously love her.

Over the last few days as we've begun the transfer, both of us have felt like the time has come to take the focus off of rcla's. We've visited just about every one of them and we've been visiting many of them like they're investigators. And we'll still visit a couple of them consistently--like Cristina and Adela Martinez--but it's time to find some more investigators and put our focus there. We're hoping to get more help from the ward for the rcla's (which is really how it should be; our ward just struggles). I feel really good about our decision.

Today I want to tell you about Abacu. Abacu is great. Seriously great. He's this grumpy old man who we met when we were trying to find a menos activo who lives next door to him. We talked for a little and invited him to church, and he came! (Have I already told you about him?) Anyway, he's come to church 3 times, which is the amount that's required before baptism. But he is SO HARD TO TEACH! You see, Abacu just got divorced and is now living with his son and his family. It's been hard on his ego. He doesn't seem to like being taught by young girls. Whenever we teach him something he seems to feel like he has to teach us something. Like a couple of days ago when we taught him el plan de salvacion. (Yeah, we're still only on lesson 2). Oh my. That was a struggle. Every time we'd say anything he'd just through out a random fact about Adam and Eve or something. He just talks right over us. It's been hard to establish authority as two young girls.

But he loves us. He told us he would rather be with us than at a fiesta. :) (We tried to tell him that was because of the Spirit but, you know.) I'm not worried about him but I'm frustrated. We both are! Dad, I wanted to ask you if you had any advice. Did you ever teach anyone like Abacu? I think we're just going to have to take it slow with him. Hopefully when he sees that this is really something he wants to hear about he'll let us tell him.

I seriously love him, though. I love making him smile. Hermana and I love to just act goofy around him and make him crack. He love us.

All in all this first week of transfer 2 has been really good. We've met some great people and already seen miracles. This morning I got pretty overwhelmed because of my complete inadequacy as a teacher. But Hermana was right there to remind me that this is not about me or my abilities. I know it's not. It's hard to remember sometimes but I know. We really, really can't do anything on our own. That's for sure. But we're not alone. Over the past 3 months (exactly!) I've come to recognize that God will be as much a part of our lives as we'll let Him be. I know He has a plan for all of His children, not just His missionaries. He wants to lead and guide us. He wants us to be happy and He wants us back with Him. I know that! I just want to shout it! I know that all His commandments are solely to make us happy; to help us qualify for the happiest blessing of all: eternal life. 

I love Heavenly Father and I love Jesus Christ. It's overwhelming, sometimes! It's the greatest feeling. I love being a missionary. I know this gospel is the only thing that matters. Anything we do that's not in harmony with it is not worth doing. It's as simple as that.

Les amo muchisimo! Estoy animada para hablarnos este domingo. Siempre ustedes estan en mis oraciones. Me encanta la obra misional! Que tengan una semana bien fantastica!

Mucho amor,

Hermana Lund

 Camille and her companions with the ward mission leader

Camille with the ward missionary

No comments:

Post a Comment