Monday, May 27, 2013

Pictures from Texas


Mi Familia!

It was SOOOO good to talk to you yesterday! Really, I just feel so pumped and ready to go. I wish we could have had more time because there is so much I wanted to tell you and ask you that I couldn't. 

I'm glad to hear Scott's doing well. Wow, a Mexican companion? That will be good. I feel like my Spanish has been struggling lately. I think a lot of it is that I psych myself out. I've never been good under pressure and I think when someone is talking, especially when they're talking directly to me, I kind of believe that I'm not going to understand them and then I don't. I'm working on it. When I am able to just forget about it and get involved in the conversation, I'm amazed at how much I can understand and contribute.

We taught Carlos last night. He is so SOLID! We taught him about following the prophet, tithing, and fasting. He asked a ton of great questions; he really wants to understand all this for himself. And even though we told him he doesn't have to pay tithing until after he's baptized, he filled out a form to pay for $60 he received last week. He even added on a few dollars! 

Carlos wants to get baptized, but he's nervous. He said he thinks he'll feel ready sometime in the summer. He's going to pray about it. I think he understands that baptism is a blessing and he wants to do it as soon as possible, he just needs to kind of wrap his mind around all of it. But I have NO doubt he'll get baptized. I would be sad if it wasn't until I left this area, but as long as he gets baptized I'll be happy.

This week was a little rough; I just didn't feel much of a desire to be doing this. When you're focused on yourself, missionary work really isn't fun. You wake up every day at 6:30, study for 3 or 4 hours, go out to talk to complete strangers about your church, and teach lessons in a language you don't really feel like struggling through. Then you get home just EXHAUSTED every single day, even though it doesn't make any sense because you were in the car all day, and you have to fill out all the teaching records and potentials and call members for tomorrow and no one ever answers and it's impossible to understand Spanish on our phone...

But I've had so many experiences where I have been overcome with love for these people. People like Carlos and Robert and Abacu really need the gospel right now. When I feel love for the people I teach, everything is worth it. In these moments, missionary work is the greatest! Seriously, the greatest. I'm working on making these feelings last.

Anyway, I'd better go. The Elder's are waiting to write. But let me give you a consejo. Find a Taqueria--you shouldn't have any problem in Ogden--and eat some really Mexican food, k? Get some good tacos and don't forget the horchata. You won't regret it.

I love you all. I know this is true with all that I am. It's such a great feeling to testify of this gospel and KNOW in that moment that what I'm saying is true. I know God has a plan for each of us. He loves all of you and wants to help you. Just pray to Him and He'll help you out. 

Mucho amor a todos! Tengan una buenisima semana y disfruten comida Mexicana, ok?

Hermana Lund
        
 There have been lots of rainstorms this spring

 Joining in a Guadalupe school dance practice

Three soaked hermanas after dancing in the rain

 Don't ask

 The ever-present drink, Tampico, after being stuffed way-too-full again by a member

 Helping with a youth car wash

P-day in Austin
 Saying goodbye to Hermana Hearne

 With Hermana Hearne's new companion, fresh from the MTC

 Visiting a monestery



 P-day in Austin, too, I think

Mother's Day call home

No comments:

Post a Comment