Monday, October 21, 2013

Nueva Companera!

Mi Familia,

Transfers were this week. Hermana Ludeman went up to Austin and my new companion is Hermana Montgomery! I adore her. We came into the field together, actually, but we were in different zones and didn't meet until the day we left the MTC. We've talked a little before at zone conferences, but we didn't know each other more than that. And Hermana Pond is Hermana Clark's companion. She came in with us, too, so in a couple weeks we'll all be celebrating the 9-month mark together! Also, Hermana Montgomery's birthday is 3 days before mine. So we've got some exciting celebrations planned for the next couple weeks! :) Sorry, I haven't taken any pictures, but I'll try to send some home next week.

This week has been stressful for me just because change stresses me out (like just about everything else in missionary life) and it's always hard to adjust to a new companion, even if you love her. It's also hard for me to be the only one who knows anything about the area. But I really love Hermana Montgomery and I'm excited to work with her. She has only served in English areas before this and is excited to be on the border, even if our area is predominately English. She has SO much to bring to the area, especially when it comes to working with members. I'm excited to see the changes in the area that I know she'll bring. She's super driven and passionate about the work and she already loves everyone here. Haha, I don't mean for this to sound prideful, but I feel like Heavenly Father has put 2 of his hardest-working, most determined missionaries in the same area. Serious work is going to get done! :)

Hermana Montgomery and I are alike in so many ways. We think and feel the same way about a lot of things, and we struggle with the same kind of things. (We're both stressers, which I hope will be a good thing rather than a bad thing since we can support and understand each other.) We really get along and we stay up talking every night. ;) The only struggle we've had is that Hermana Mo gets anxiety and motion-sickness from riding bikes. Which is a pretty big problem here. She tries her best, but we've been walking quite a bit. It has turned out ok though; on Friday when we walked a ton we still ended up having 4 lessons. Heavenly Father is making it possible for us to do His work. He always provides a way. Anyway, I'm praying a lot for her and trying to be patient and understanding with it all. She got a blessing on Saturday so I hope she starts feeling better. 

There was a baptism on Saturday for 2 of the Elders' investigators. Only, one of them didn't show up. His name is Noel. He recently moved here from the Philippines where he had already taking the lessons. He's super solid but his wife is super anti. We're guessing that's were the problem was. But the baptism still happened for the other man. I accompanied one of the other Elders for a musical number. It went ok, especially considering I only got the music 2 days before and didn't get very much time to practice. Also, since Hna. Isham is gone, I'm not the only missionary who can/will play in church. The English branch is ok without me but the Spanish branch expects me to be in Sunday School, Relief Society, and Sacrament to play. Kind of annoying, but I'm still grateful for the opportunity. 

I've been happy. But I'm still struggling with the same things I've been struggling with for 4 months. I still feel homesick (not terribly, don't freak out) and I often feel stressed and overwhelmed. That is the thing I dislike about myself the most: how hard it is for me to stay calm and keep my stress in check. It's so miserable. I just get so anxious and worried and can't seem to control it. It's something I'm trying so hard to change. It's just not Christlike. It's not who I want to be and I know it's not who Heavenly Father wants me to be. It stems from great attributes that I love about myself like determination, obedience, and self-motivation, but I need to learn how to stay calm and have patience & faith. It's just discouraging because I've been struggling with it for so long. I hate that I often long to go home where there's not so much pressure. I've looked forward to my mission for as long as I can remember, and it bothers me that I struggle with desire out here. 

But I have seen progress in myself. I know I'm better at handling stress, even if it doesn't seem like it sometimes. I love people more, I love my Savior more, and I have more hope and faith that I have tremendous joy to look forward to on my mission. I'm at least a little bit better at seeing the beauty in the moment, in slowing down and taking it a day at a time. And I know without a doubt that Heavenly Father is proud of me, the work I've done, and who I'm becoming. I just miss you all a lot sometimes.

Don't worry about me too much, though. I'm figuring it out. Heavenly Father always gives me my daily bread. I have no doubt that good things are to come on my mission.  I'm so grateful for my mission, for the chance I have to learn and be so involved in God's work. And I LOVE this area. Just in the last couple days I've had several moments where I was filled with love for the people here, members and non-members. I love them! I love learning about them and serving them. There are several people I plan to come visit after the mission. What a blessing!

Phew! Long e-mail. I'll let you go now. I love you all and hope you have an incredible week!

Mucho carino,

Hermana Lund

P.S. President told me my Spanish is phenomenal! Yay!! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment