Monday, January 13, 2014

Sana, sana, culito de rana. Si no sana hoy, sanara manana.

Mi Familia!

My new companion is Hermana Arteta! She's got a great sense of humor and a firm desire to always improve. I don't have my card reader with me today, so I'll have to send a picture next week.

This week has been leaps and bounds better than it would appear from the outside. Transfers and changes are always hard for me, and I miss Sister Arche a ton. But I'm really happy. I credit it to two things:

First of all, Elder Bednar came on Friday! It was an absolutely incredible experience. I sat on the 3rd row, right front and center. I even got to sing in the musical number! Sister Hill had volunteered to put something together weeks ago, and the Assistants called her the night before. So 5 of us sang Sweet Hour of prayer, including the 3rd verse that's only in the Spanish hymnal. Elder Peterson played the piano and jazzed it up very nicely. It was a really neat experience!

The whole time Elder Bednar spoke with us rather than at us. It was really special, and a great example of how we should teach our investigators. A few weeks ago he sent us a few of his talks for us to study before he came. On Friday he asked us to share what we learned. I raised my hand and shared an answer to a question I had received after a lot of pondering and prayer, that learning by faith means that we display righteous actions, which open our hearts to be taught spiritual truth by the Holy Ghost. Really simple, but really profound and eyeopening to me. Elder Bednar looked me right in the eye, had me repeat what I said, and fullheartedly confirmed it. He made me promise to never forget it, especially as a wife and mother. It was a really cool experience to have an apostle of the Lord confirm something I had received through my own revelation. 

Second, something inside me clicked this week. (I feel like I say that so much that it's probably losing effect, but just go with it.) My whole mission I have been told--by people, the scriptures, other missionaries, Ensign articles, everything--that I just need to chill out, focus on the good things I do, and let the mistakes go. I've tried several times, but it has always been halfheartedly since, if you don't focus on your mistakes, how are you supposed to ever get better? Such was my thinking. But I finally just got it, and i honestly have focused on all the good things I do. I don't worry about whether or not it is something any missionary would do, or whether or not I wanted to do it, I just recognize it as a good thing that I did. I do a lot of good things! It has completely changed the way I look at myself. I feel more motivated and more able to go out and work because I'm not so afraid. It's been very freeing. I just pray that I'll be able to hold onto this, that I'll be able to continue thinking this way throughout my mission. I still want to improve, but in a positive, building way.

I know this is God's work and I know He leads it. I know He is omniscient and knows our hearts better than we do. He loves us and only lets hard times happen if it will make us happier in the long run. He is good.

I love you all. Have an incredible week.


Hermana Lund 

No comments:

Post a Comment