Monday, May 19, 2014

Stereotypical Texas

Mi Familia,
 
I'm in Pleasanton! It's a middle-of-nowhere, 300-square-mile area south of San Antonio. I'm with Hermana Regan, who was in my MTC district! We cover an English ward and a Spanish branch. It's the first time I haven't shared a ward with other missionaries. We are literally the only missionaries for everyone within the enormous bounderies of our ward and branch. It's fun!
 
This area is completely different from any other area I've ever been in. Right now we're actually living 30 miles out of our area so we drive a TON. In a truck! So fun. I can't begin to tell you how beautiful it is. There are quaint little towns like Lytle, Von Ormy, Pleasanton, and Poteet, and there's lots of country. There are horses, donkeys, goats, and cows (lots of longhorns, even) everywhere. It's the stereotypical Texas area, the area I always wanted to serve in but didn't think I ever would. It's great!
 
 The people are great; the English speakers aren't necessarily hicks--more like bumpkins, as Hermana Regan calls them. I LOVE all of them will all my heart already. The Spanish branch is tiny. There were maybe 20 of us in sacrament meeting. There were 6 of us in Relief Society, including us missionaries. I have already been appointed piano player for everything, and one of the leaders of the primary/nursery pulled me out towards the end of Relief Society to play some music in there. There were 2 leaders, 3 kids, and a baby. We along with the leaders, one of the girls, and the baby all gathered around the piano to sing songs while the other girl cried and clung to the dress of one of the leaders and the little boy threw a little fit on the other side of the room. Haha, it was so different and fun. I've excited to get to know everyone in the branch really well.
 
And Mari's in this ward!! She's living with her mom right now and I saw her yesterday in church! It was her first time coming to this ward. It was so good to see her again. I'm so lucky!
 
This area requires a different kind of work. It's hard to visit and find people because everythings so spread out. And if you find someone but they don't have connections to members it's hard to get them to go to church because it's a good 50 miles away for some of them. We're trying to get to know all the members and work through them by stopping by for quick 20-minute lessons and helping them do their own missionary work and to learn about their family & friends, and in the meantime we knock whatever doors we can when we get to an area that actually has more than one house every 20 acres. But even most of those are gated and have very scary dogs and NO TRESPASSING signs that must be taken seriously. These people are private folk and it makes it a little difficult. But I have no doubt it can be done. I can see that there's a ton of potential here. My goal for this area is to never get discouraged and to just keep working hard. There isn't enough time for anything else; I'm leaving soon!
 
And we have been working really hard. It feels so good. I don't know exactly what happened, but Lake Austin was the area where I finally became the missionary I always wanted to be. It took about 15 months of non-stop effort and prayers, but I feel like I'm there. Obviously I have plenty of ways that I can improve, but my mindset is where I want it to be. I have no fear of talking to anyone. I WANT to talk to everyone. I have faith in God's promises and know we'll see miracles. I know that I have the constant companionship of the Spirit, and I know I have power and authority to do what I'm doing. And I recognize the miracles that happen every day. The mission is fantastic and I'm so happy to be here. 
 
I love you all! Have a fantastic week.
 
Hermana Lund


No comments:

Post a Comment