Monday, September 23, 2013

La Semana del Rio

Mi Familia!

Cómo están? Cómo les va el otoño en Utah? It's officially fall here and it feels like it, but it doesn't look like it. The leaves don't change here. :( But it's been so much cooler! Yesterday we walked outside and it felt like the mountains in Utah, all crisp and dry and heavenly. It was really strange. And it's been raining A LOT. We got some serious flooding on Friday. Del Rio has man-made trenches for the water to drain through that go right over some of the roads, which is really fun to bike through. :) I was thinking about it--I really think one of the reasons I'm here in Del Rio right now is that Heavenly Father knew I wanted "that" mission experience. I wanted to bike in the heat and the rain, do stuff like that. So here I am in one of the few biking areas for sisters in the hottest--and apparently wettest--part of the year. I know it's crazy, but I'm grateful for it.

This week was awesome. Yesterday we went to Eagle Pass for District Conference with all the branches on the border. President Slaughter and the temple president and matron were there to speak to us. It was really good. And I always love driving to Eagle Pass. That drive is beautiful. Oh, and the giant Mexican flag was finally flying! It seriously couldn't have been more than 2 miles away. Hi, Scott!

We had a lesson with both Seth and Ashlie on Saturday. I don't remember how much of their story I've told you, but she's a less-active who's been going through the repentance process and is finalizing her divorce. He is 23 and used to be into some really bad stuff but changed his life a ton before Hermana Ludeman and Hermana Christiansen found him, and is still making awesome changes. They're officially engaged now and plan to elope after her divorce is finalized in the middle of October and have a big schabang in January. She's currently living in New Braunfels (about 3 hours away) with her mom and he's living down here with his grandparents, who we're also teaching. Anyway, Seth was going to be baptized this following Saturday but we've moved it to the 12th for a bunch of reasons. But we were talking with the 2 of them on Saturday night and they were talking about getting the priesthood and getting sealed next year and all that. It was way cool. When Hermana Ludeman and I left we were SO HAPPY. When we got home we just sat in the car and soaked it all in. It was pure joy, the kind of joy that is fueled by the Spirit and fills you all up. The last time I felt so happy was probably when I first entered the MTC. It was so cool. Seth isn't perfect and he's still got changes to make, but I know he's ready. It's so awesome to see the gospel change lives. Sometimes I tend to think that the mission is some kind of story, removed from real life. But this is as real as life gets. This is the only thing that really matters in life but that the worlds seems to have forgotten.

Les amo a todos! Que tengan una semana muy bonita, y que disfruten la clima del otoño!

Hasta luego!


Hermanita


No comments:

Post a Comment