Monday, December 2, 2013

San Antone!

Mi Familia,

I'm in San Antonio! 8th Ward, where lots of The District was filmed. I think Scott's the only one who would have seen that, but in The District, Jackie (an investigator) and Caleb get married in the bishop's home. I went there on Friday! He isn't the bishop anymore but his wife's the Relief Society president. We're having Christmas there, too! I'm way excited. It's a great ward.

It's totally English. But surprisingly, I'm ok with that. English wards are great. And if my Spanish could have improved so much in Del Rio, which was basically and English area, I'm not too worried about it improving here. I'll just keep working hard like I always do and pray like nobody's business. :) Plus, my companion Sister Arche is fluent in Spanish even though she's English-called. So I've been practicing. There's nothing better to help you learn Spanish than having a companion who grew up speaking Spanish, I've come to realize. I haven't had a companion who could speak Spanish almost at all since Hermana Rodriguez so I'm excited. And Sister Arche tells me my Spanish is really good so I'll just believe that and move on.

The work here is even slower than Del Rio. A lot slower, actually. Haha, go figure. We have 2 investigators, only one of which is solid (although she's really solid and we're hoping she'll be baptized soon.) Can you believe that? What was I possibly complaining about in Del Rio? But it's been ok. Sister Arche has only been here for a transfer so she doesn't know very many people, so we're going to be working with members a ton this week. Apparently the ward gives a lot of referrals, so we're going to feed off of that. We've been contacting a LOT the last couple of days, too. But it's been so fun! We've met some great people (although not anyone who's really interested) and Sister Arche and I have SO much fun together.

Sister Arche is the best. She's been out for just short of a year. She's from West Valley but her Mom's from Ecuador and her Dad's from Mexico. Haha, we came up from the border a day before transfers on Wednesday and stayed I stayed in Sister Arche's apartment, and we could kind of deduce from everything we knew that we would be companions. My first thought was, "Shoot! I can't be companions with her! She's too gorgeous!" Haha but she's SOOO sweet. She's soft spoken, but hilarious and fun. We have the greatest time knocking. She's such a hard worker, too. She has some serious health problems but she keeps going even when she's not feeling well or in pain. I really admire her for that. 

Oh! And I'm living with Sister Isham and Sister Christensen! They're traveling STL's...they're in charge of all the other STL's. So that has been fun. And also hard. It's close to impossible to not compare myself to Hermana Christensen since we were MTC companions. She's basically and AP and I'm just a normal junior companion. But it's actually been a huge blessing. I just feel so humble! Not in a negative, self-demeaning way, but in a way that helps me realize who I am, Who I'm working for, and what I'm doing. It's not my work, it's completely God's! And it feels sooooo good! I just feel like I'm filled with humility and charity and there's nothing that feels better, including other missionaries recognizing how great of a missionary you are. 

Also, I've been coming across desire a lot in my studies lately. God truly works according to your desires. I wrote a list of my desires as a missionary. I want to be completely fluent in Spanish. I want to be filled with charity and humility and be completely on the Lord's errand. I want to help other people feel confident in who they are. I want to be part of the harvest as well as the planting. But I'm not super worried about being involved with the work on a high scale. I just want to work! Heavenly Father will give me according to my desires. I'm not worried about that.

I'm so blessed. I'm so happy to be on a mission this Christmas. Oh! I forgot to talk about Thanksgiving! I don't have enough time, but just know that I was taken care of by some super sweet and fairly crazy old people. Perfect! I loved it. 

I love you all! Have a great week!

Hermana Lund


No comments:

Post a Comment