Monday, December 9, 2013

Utah Weather Minus the Snow

Mi Familia!

Man, it has been cooooold here. Cold and windy. I'm so thankful to have a car again, even if I do feel completely cooped up. Although it has been really warm here and there, too. Like last P-day we played soccer and the weather was divine! But..that's gone.

 It got down to freezing a couple days ago. And I think it's 10 times worse 1) because I'm not wearing pants and 2) because I've acclimated to Texas weather. I'm a wimp! It hasn't snowed yet, just rained a bit today. But everyone says this weather isn't normal. Maybe we'll have a white miracle!

I'm loving San Antonio. It's such a nice place! We work in a very rich part of town. It's completely made up of gated communities filled with HUGE houses. There's this one community, Shavano Park, that is actually it's own city. It has it's own police and everything. It's really nice. Really nice. It can be a bit intimidating to talk to those people, but somehow it hasn't bothered me too much. I guess 10 months (wow!) of constantly being out of my comfort zone has done something to me!

And the ward is incredible. They're very missionary minded. I went to PEC for the first time in my mission yesterday. All of the ward council was there and they gave us and the other sisters special time to talk about our investigators and less actives we have been working with, coming up with serious plans of action to help us out. It was great! And we've been working with members a lot lately, and I feel like everyone is already working on at least one of their friends, often as a family. We're just trying to help them move it to the next level. 

There's a couple recent converts, Meredith and her boyfriend Hector, and Laura Ketterman, who are simply fantastic. They love the gospel and want to share it with everyone! And they do! They honestly look for opportunities to share the gospel. Laura keeps a Book or Mormon on her office desk at all times ready to give out. They inspire ME to talk to more people!

We taught an incredible family on Saturday, the Louis family. They're an awesome black family who lives in probably the only ghetto apartments in our area. We talked to Allen, the dad, outside a week or so ago and set a return appointment. But I didn't have my agenda for the new transfer with me and the next day Sister Arche lost hers, so we forgot when it was. But we went by on Saturday and he said they had been waiting for us the day before! Luckily they weren't upset. Anyway, the mom was at work but we taught Allen and his 2 kids, 10-year-old Jace and 9-year-old Jayla. 

They're so great! We taught the Restoration and they were super open and accepted it all. Even the kids were attentive, although Jayla did fall asleep once. ;) Allen knows EVERYTHING about the Bible and lives it. He's a great dad. He said he's been praying to find a good church for his kids that will help them learn. They all accepted the baptismal invite and were really excited to read the Book of Mormon together. They committed to go to church, too. Brother Green agreed to give them a ride and he confirmed with them and everything, but the next morning Allen called to say he'd been up with a toothache all night and wouldn't be able to make it. It was pretty disappointing for us, since neither of us have had investigators at church for what seems like forever. But we did only teach them on Saturday, after all. As Brother Green says, we'll get 'em. :) We have a lesson with the whole family tomorrow night and Brother Green is coming with us. Allen says they will DEFINITELY go to church next week, so I hope that happens. 

We're trying so hard to work hard. Which is hard to do when there isn't a lot of work to do! But I think we're doing a pretty good job. I just want so badly to be busy, to teach millions of lessons and baptize tons of people. Everyone keeps telling us that there ARE people in our area who are ready to be baptized NOW. Why can't we find them?! Is it a lack of faith on our part? Are we doing something wrong? That doesn't seem quite right, but I can't stop thinking about it anyway. I just want to do work and make a difference. I want to kill it! 

I think I just need to forget about it. Forget about whether or not I'm working hard enough and focus on loving God and His children. And pray with faith. Pray for us to find people who are ready right now, ok? They have to exist.

I love you all. Have a great week!


Hermana Lund

No comments:

Post a Comment